Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tea Party Table Decorating

I've tried several times this last week to sit down and write a post or two, but had no patience for the slow Internet service we have here.  I apologize for the impatience, but I've been busy getting things ready for decorating and hosting a table at our church's Ladies Spring Tea.  

I may have done my table a lot different than most of the traditional tables, but I really liked it and I enjoyed being just a little different.  Here's what my table looked like.  I wanted to do burlap, white and glass themed.  I had a burlap sack that I planned to make into a table runner anyway, so this gave me an excuse to make it and get yet another item out of scrap pile!  I picked the bag up for only $3 at a rummage sale.  I bought 4, and wished I could buy more, but just didn't have the budget! I have already sold a table runner at a fall craft show so have made my money back for the 4 sacks.

 This place setting was why I volunteered in the first place.  I bought 8 place settings of the grape plates and cups at a different garage sale about 5 years ago with the intent to do a tea of some sort, but haven't.  I finally got to use them.  I only paid $4 for all 8 settings.  The napkins were linen ones that I picked up at another sale for only $.10 each!  I re-used twine from Christmas gifts my Mom wrapped all her gifts with two years ago.  I folded the napkins with a Flower Basket Fold found at Between Naps on the Porch. (Don't you love blogs?  You can learn so much!)
I made little collars for cans of herbs using leftover burlap and different blue stitches on my sewing machine.  My daughter helped me tie white ribbon with a blue button around the burlap.  We just wanted a hint of blue on the table, since our teapots were white with blue.

I took more twine and tied them around mason jars of all types and sizes.  I filled the bottom with salt and added a tea light.  Even though it was daylight, I think the candles really added to the table.  Oh - the cost of salt was $1.50.

I did buy some of the herbs at $1.49 for 3 of them, but I will used them all.  In the middle of the table, I used a glass bowl upside down with a glass platter to give some height to the candles and plants.  I also set some of the plants on upside down glass bowls and sundae cups that I bought for $.20 each at a thrift store.  The total cost of my table was $11.17, of which, $4.47 I would have spent on the plants anyway!

It was so much fun to see what everyone decorated their tables with and I really enjoyed putting mine together!  I will be sharing soon how I made the table runner, and possibly even listing it in my Etsy Shop soon!

I will be linking to those blogs on the right for sure this week, so check them all out!

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful table! Love those cut grape luncheon plates...perfect for the event! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job girl!! Congratulations!!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very pretty! I would have ran right over to sit at your lovely table :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH just lovely! I think that the combinations of textures really make this a stand out -- and your centerpieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you decorated your table. Great ways of recycling cans and jars. Really like the can with the burlap and button. Cute! Great job. Thanks for shaing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!