Sunday, September 16, 2012

Beach Table Decorations

I have been busy planning and starting a new MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) group here in my new area.  I really didn't want to be the one to start one, but sometimes God works in mysterious ways!  So, a lot of things need to be put in order to get our first meeting started.  I've been coming up with a schedule for the year, along with coordinating crafts, so I'll be sharing those soon!

We are on a very low budget since we are just starting.  In fact, I don't even know how many will be coming, as we are kicking off our first meeting at the end of this month.  Our theme is "Plunge: Love as if your life depends on it."  I took the water theme and was going to keep things simple by using canning jars (which would also be very cute and doable), but one of the ladies in our church does table decorations for our local senior center, and already had beach type table decorations made up that we could borrow for the year.

 In the center is a brandy sniffer (I think that's what they are called) with sand in the bottom and a whole bunch of shells.  Then of course shells around that on a light blue napkin, which this lady also happened to have and allowed us to use.  Then underneath, I made a square under the napkin out of burlap.
 I didn't measure this at all, just went a little larger than the napkins.  I then used light blue thread and did a different kind of decorative stitch on my machine about an inch away from the edge, and then frayed the burlap off around the edges.
This larger jar of shells is going to go on our refreshment table for a little more beachy theme.  If I had used the canning jars, I would have tied a piece of jute around the top of the jar, but these sniffers, don't lend themselves to that.   Really, this whole project only cost me 3 burlap bags that I had on hand!

Let me know what you think.  Oh, I'm sorry for the lighting, if you can believe, this is daytime lighting with all the smoke.  I actually had to use my headlights to drive during the day yesterday, as the smoke is so bad from the fires.)  Also, I made one of the burlap table toppers for my shop, so be sure to check that out, too! If you need these made for a MOPS group, please contact me for a discount.  I would be happy to make a group of them up for your MOPS group decorations!

5 comments:

  1. Very lovely decor! I was on the leadership team of a new MOPS group last year. It was LOTS of work, but a blessing to work alongside such devoted women.

    I'm following your blog now. I hope your MOPS group gets off to a great start and that many women are blessed through it. You may not know the impact until next spring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute decorations! Thanks for joining our hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!

    Thanks for linking up with our Wednesday Walkabout!

    Chantal @ Scattered Seashells

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great organization you are forming. Wish you the best with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful beach table on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love all the shells!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!