Wednesday, October 17, 2012

31 Days - Day 15: Schedule

Can I just say, that I am usually pretty good about keeping a schedule - for my kids, Mr. Right, and for all the things that come up that I commit to (you know, Doctors appointments, church gatherings, bible studies, etc.) but the one place a I really fail is scheduling my own business time.  I get inspired, and then spend time working  my business for a few weeks, but in the long haul, I'm not really good at scheduling time to work for myself.

This post is a challenge to myself, and to you, to do something for your business that is productive everyday. It's ok to take off on Sundays, but let's face it, it's easy to say that a personal, home business is a failure, but never actually do the time.  If you had  J-O-B, you would get up and go to work each day, not questions asked.  Why is it so hard to do this when you work for yourself.

The other thing that I am guilty of (did I mention this is really a post of true self confessions for me?), is doing things that are busy work, but nothing productive or money making.  When doing a Craft Show, making items to sell is the money making activity that you need to be doing.  You need to set aside time each day on your calendar for making your craft.
In fact, I would like to go as far as to say that you need to actually make a schedule of what items you are making on what days.  Sit down with your Quantities List from Day 14 and your calendar, and figure out how you are going to make it to your craft show with all the things that you have planned to make.  This is hard for those of us that are creative, and live our lives by-the-seat-of-your-pants, kind of people!  It's hard to get down to the nitty gritty and actually schedule our craft!  It really needs to be done, though, because you won't make it to the craft show with all that you plan to.

Simple, right?  As simple as this post seems, I know that it is hard to stick to, but also so very important to do!  Let me know how you get all your items made for your craft shows?  I love to hear how you stay motivated.  Don't forget to check out the rest of this series: 31 Days Until a Craft Show.  I am trying to put together in one place all the information you need to get to a craft show (oh, and I'm getting ready for one too!)

For a complete list of the 31 Day Until A Craft Show series and links to each post go Here to Day 31.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem. I can busy myself allllll day long doing things. But, they aren't what needs to be done or what will make me money. I have to give myself a structured schedule to stay on task with what does actually matter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!