Thursday, January 31, 2013

Life on the Prairie

I've been crafting this week, but don't have things ready to share with you just yet.  We've had some excitement this week on the Prairie - Turkeys!  We've had about 17 turkeys coming daily to our yard and eating from the cherry tree out front.  Two to three of them go up into the cherry tree and shake it down, while the rest scramble for what falls (hopefully next year, we will get those cherries before they spoil, and the turkeys will be out of business.)After they check out the cherry tree, then they line up and make a trip around our house and eat under one of the trees in the back yard.  They are usually here for about an hour each day, but the give the entire family a lot of excitement for the day!


They've gotten brave enough, they go just outside the patio door in the back of the house.  That is, they go there until our very dumb dog discovers them and barks.  Then, they are headed for the hills, literally.  My oldest is plotting and planning which one will be his for the turkey season - not soon enough for him!

2 comments:

  1. Some of the joys of living in the country, seeing the wild life. Looks like you've got a bit of acreage around your place and it looks very pretty. Must be gorgeous in Summer,Fall and Spring also, lots of green around you.
    We lived in MT with cougars, coyotes, deer, moose, you name it. One winter a coyote must have been awfully hungry as it came up on our back porch. Every early Spring an antelope momma would bring her baby/ies close to the house and I'd talk to her about her baby. I didn't try to get too close to her or her baby ever so I guess she trusted me. I always kept water bowl and some food for her to nibble on while she was there. It was so cute how she'd come every year. I always wonder,why did we leave Mt? Really dumb, I still miss it, we lived off Canyon Ferry Lake, had 20 acres. dumb,dumb, dumb. Happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful. I love MT too! We have the cougars, coyotes, deer and elk so far. In spring the moose come, I've heard. We are every excited to see this first year here. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!