Saturday, September 19, 2015

Free Breakfast

I love nothing better than being able to use leftovers in a new way or even make breakfast from the fruit of our labors.  In this case, I provided a Taco Soup and Corn muffins for the Youth Group at church this week, so had way too many corn muffins left over to eat.  My family doesn't eat "old" breads, since I bake fresh so much, so I knew these corn muffins would go to waste if I couldn't figure out how to use them. 

My grandmother used to make bread pudding when she had leftover or old bread.  I've even found a recipe for making bread pudding from leftover donuts that tastes pretty close to my grandmother's bread pudding.  I was thinking about what I could do with my corn muffins and decided to make it into a bread pudding for breakfast!  The best part was, that not only did I have leftover muffins, but a neighbor gave us free milk from her cow, I used huckleberries we picked in the forest, and I was able to use eggs from our own hens!  That means, we had breakfast for FREE!  I love that!


So here's the recipe:
Huckleberry Corn Bread Pudding
 
Ingredients:
 

8 cups corn bread/muffins - cubed
1 cup huckleberries (can substitute blueberries) - fresh or frozen
4 cups milk - I used  fresh cows milk, but I've also used skim milk.  Using a half and half will make this creamer
5 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup brown sugar - topping
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to  300 degrees. Butter or spray 9x13 casserole pan.  Place cubed corn bread in pan.  Sprinkle huckleberries over it.  Whisk the rest of the ingredients together and spread over the bread and fruit.  Sprinkle 1/8 cup brown sugar over the top for  topping. Let stand 10-15 minutes, so the milk soaks into the bread. 
Bake for 60-75 minutes at 300 degrees.  Serve as is, or top with whipped cream or ice cream!
 
 
Enjoy! My Recipe Magic 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I love to hear from you!